

Today (Friday), we arrived in India. Our flight arrived at about 12:40am and we managed to get to the hotel with all our luggage by 3am. We're staying at the Taj Mansingh-- an absolutely beautiful hotel. When we arrived, they gave us garlands to mark the occasion. Since we arrived so late, I slept late and got up to eat breakfast. Most days we are going to eat breakfast and lunch at the hotel (buffet-style). The Taj Mansingh has a large buffet with both Indian and American/ Continental food.
After eating breakfast (at 11am), I went with another Fulbright-Hays participant (Terri) to Fab India, an India textile store to look at Indian clothing. Since we walked and since we got lost and since it was over 100 degrees, we were very hot and sweaty by the time we arrived at the store (it's only supposed to be 15 min. away). After lunch we returned, taking an auto-rickshaw and so were less hot and sweaty-- and I bought a korta and an pair of Indian women's pants (I can't remember the name at the moment)-- when I wear them, I'll take a picture.
In the evening, we had a reception at the USIEF (US-India Education Foundation). A gentleman who works in India education gave us an excellent lecture on the state of Indian education (that's the picture above--he lit the candles for good luck and such at the beginning of the talk) and then we have dinner and such with various Indian nationals and people involved in either the Fulbright program or education. It was interesting to meet all the different people and hear what they had to say about India and education (and shopping and sight seeing)
Try not to melt! ;)
ReplyDelete